The trash was introduced in wordpress version 2.9, and the operations of deleting posts (all types of post types) and comments was replaced by sending them to the trash. Actual deletion from the DB is done through trash management which is separate for each post type and comments. In addition an automatic process empties everyday all trashed items which where in the trash from more then 30 day. read more about the trash feature in the codex.
The plugin has two function
- Provides a way to conctol the maximal amount of time an item will be kept in the trash before being deleted as an alternative to defining the EMPTY_TRASH_DAYS constant in your wp-config.php file. You can have the automatic trash empty performed faster, or set such a riciculously long interval that essently makes emptying the trash a puerly manuall operation.
- Manually empty item from the trash based the time they been there.
- Download it from the repository
- Using your favourit FTP software upload the emptytrash folder into your site /wp-content/plugins directory
- go to the plugin management page and activate.
- To Manually empty the trash go to the “Tools” >> “Trash emptier” menu
- To configure the automatic emptying interval go to “Options” >> “Trash emptier” menu
If you find this plugin usefull, don’t forget to donate
I will be very surprised if I will receive enough donations to cover the cost of the effort in designing, coding testing and supporting this plugin.but it is a nice sign of appreciation for my work.